Monday 14 February 2011

Valentine's Day

And a happy Valentine's Day to you all.

But seriously, isn't it all getting a little bit out of hand? I don't want to sound churlish - and yes, I did get a) a card, b) a scented candle and c) dinner out (on Saturday, when we can skip the faux-romance laughably implied by over-priced set-menus) - but do you really have to spend a lot of money, or any money at all, to say 'I love you' nowadays?

Because isn't it all getting a bit like Christmas, where so much is made of how happy everyone must be that those not in relationships are in danger of being made to feel inadequate? True, I can still recall the thrill of receiving my first proper Valentine's card that wasn't from my Dad. But it's a day to celebrate all kinds of love, not just romantic love. And it's a day to be authentic.

I tapped in to my inner child made Nigella's Love Buns, complete with home-made hearts...

No comments:

Post a Comment